Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Dependancy

One of the hardest things that people have to learn is how to properly depend on others.

I've been reading Jeremiah lately for my devotions and it keeps popping up over and over again, about how Israel and Judah decided to turn from God and to turn back to the ways of Egypt and the worship of false gods. They did not choose to depend on God for everything, they chose to depend on themselves and idols of their own making. This of course, caused God to turn from them in anger, he indeed poured out his wrath upon them. BUT>>>> he only did so after he called and called for the people to return to him.

I see this tendency in my own life as well. Having a baby by c-section really made me aware of it. I so much like doing things for my ownself, in my own way and time, and having a wee one dependant upon you for everything, and being unable to do my own thing in my own time, and having to ask my parents for assistance in just getting meals and laundry done.... it's been a struggle. And then when I struggled with baby blues....having to say God help me with this, I can't get through these thoughts on my own.... IT"S HARD. BUT I must also say, it is worth it. Worth it from my parents joy in being able to spend LOTS of time with their new grandson. Worth it from knowing that by turning to God in my need brings him joy as well. So despite the challenges of needing to be humble enough to ask for help, comes good things.

I look at the larger world today, the Canadian government legalizing same-sex marriage because it's a "human rights issue", people fighting for jobs, people hurting each other, people saying the God isn't real,..... these are all symptons of individuals saying....let me do it my way. Let me make the choices. Let me stand on my own. Where is the dependancy? It seems like no one wants to be dependant on others in proper ways....

Where is this people's need for God? Have we all gone off to do our own thing? My prayer is that we learn how to depend on God as a people, as a nation. That we will indeed turn from our wickedness and heed the word of our Lord.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

One of the most difficult things for us a humans to do, is to realize that God is God and we are not.