Wednesday, January 04, 2012

Day by Day - Psalm 119:1-16

Using as a base for devotions, Day by Day by Charles Swindoll.



Psalm 119:1-16(ESV)
Aleph

1 Blessed are those whose way is blameless,
who walk in the law of the LORD!
2 Blessed are those who keep his testimonies,
who seek him with their whole heart,
3 who also do no wrong,
but walk in his ways!
4 You have commanded your precepts
to be kept diligently.
5 Oh that my ways may be steadfast
in keeping your statutes!
6 Then I shall not be put to shame,
having my eyes fixed on all your commandments.
7 I will praise you with an upright heart,
when I learn your righteous rules.
8 I will keep your statutes;
do not utterly forsake me!

Beth

9 How can a young man keep his way pure?
By guarding it according to your word.
10 With my whole heart I seek you;
let me not wander from your commandments!
11 I have stored up your word in my heart,
that I might not sin against you.
12 Blessed are you, O LORD;
teach me your statutes!
13 With my lips I declare
all the rules of your mouth.
14 In the way of your testimonies I delight
as much as in all riches.
15 I will meditate on your precepts
and fix my eyes on your ways.
16 I will delight in your statutes;
I will not forget your word.

What jumps out at me in this bible reading section?

First the build up of what a person is if they obey the Lord: blessed, blameless, steadfast, not put to shame, one who is not forsaken, taught, and delighted.

And second - how does a person do this? By guarding what they do according to the Word of God.

I was talking with a fellow homeschooler the other day about TV commercials. She mentioned she doesn't allow her children to watch them since there is too much, I'm going to use the word, garbage (though I know that's not the exact word she used) out there. I mentioned that my approach is to let him watch them but to comment on them on occasion. And generally I am purposeful about that. I'm raising a boy child.. and boys/men are very visual generally speaking and we live in a day and age where we are bombarded with all sorts of images. Some of these images glorify God and others draw us away from him. I want him to start learning discernment about what he sees and what he dwells on. By commenting on things I am hopeful that he will start to think about what he is seeing, and thereby learn to guard his path.

I find that as my boy matures I am more often pointing out scriptural things to him. I want to help develop his love for God and his desire to walk in accordance to it.

I do so want my boy to be blameless, blessed, not put to shame, and so forth when the time comes for him to stand before God. I know how weak and frail I am...and how frequently I fail. I know that God loves me dearly...but I also know how frequently I fail him. So if I can better teach my boy child how to be discerning in what he does and what he dwells on, I think I'll have done well by him in his relationship with God. He needs to learn to guard his path.

Anyways, What does Chuck have to say about this passage?

In point form Charles Swindoll's main points.
the first eight verses point out three absolutes
1. the reality of God's blessing
2. the authority of God's word
3. the necessity of God's presence

And how can we keep our life pure?
1. Seek the Lord on a regular basis
2. Treasure the truth in your heart
3. Openly tell others of Him
4. Rejoice and delight in God's working
5. Spend more of your free moment meditating on his principles
6. Give God your full respect.

No comments: