Friday, June 20, 2008

Worried about his ministry

The close of 2 Timothy. Ends with a fairly long section, we'll see if we get through it all today, if not, there's always tomorrow (or Monday). Here are the last words from chapter 4.
9 Do your best to come to me soon. 10For Demas, in love with this present world, has deserted me and gone to Thessalonica. Crescens has gone to Galatia, Titus to Dalmatia. 11 Luke alone is with me. Get Mark and bring him with you, for he is very useful to me for ministry. 12 Tychicus I have sent to Ephesus. 13When you come, bring the cloak that I left with Carpus at Troas, also the books, and above all the parchments. 14 Alexander the coppersmith did me great harm; the Lord will repay him according to his deeds. 15Beware of him yourself, for he strongly opposed our message. 16At my first defense no one came to stand by me, but all deserted me. May it not be charged against them! 17But the Lord stood by me and strengthened me, so that through me the message might be fully proclaimed and all the Gentiles might hear it. So I was rescued from the lion’s mouth. 18The Lord will rescue me from every evil deed and bring me safely into his heavenly kingdom. To him be the glory forever and ever. Amen.

19Greet Prisca and Aquila, and the household of Onesiphorus. 20Erastus remained at Corinth, and I left Trophimus, who was ill, at Miletus. 21 Do your best to come before winter. Eubulus sends greetings to you, as do Pudens and Linus and Claudia and all the brothers.

22The Lord be with your spirit. Grace be with you.

Paul knows that his time on earth is drawing short, and he wants to see Timothy again before he dies. "6For I am already being poured out as a drink offering, and the time of my departure has come." But his thoughts remain on his ministry. Demas has left him and the ministry, Crescens and Titus have positions elsewhere, all he has helping him is Luke and he wants more folks around him to help him in his ministry. He asks Timothy to bring Mark with him when he comes because Mark is helpful to him in his ministry.

You know I read that and think wow....here is Paul, knowing that his time on earth is growing short and he's worried about his ministry. What a change from the people that generally surround me. Many of the older folk that I know....their focus is not on their ministry before God. They actually don't even seem to think of that very often. It's on their aching bones, or how they can't do what they once did or....(you fill in the blank). Paul is worried about his ministry....really changes one's perspective. Granted I must say that many younger folk who aren't as close to death aren't as ministry focused as we aught to be either. We have our own concerns and we often consider God not at all, or at least don't worry too much about our ministry before him.

Paul is a good example to us in this.

Paul continues his request to Timothy, asking him to bring his cloak, books and parchments along with him.

He warns Timothy to stay clear of Alexander the coppersmith who did him great harm. He is a man who opposes the message of God. He then explains how at first when he was charged no-one came to help him, but since then God has provided for him. As he says
17But the Lord stood by me and strengthened me, so that through me the message might be fully proclaimed and all the Gentiles might hear it. So I was rescued from the lion’s mouth. 18The Lord will rescue me from every evil deed and bring me safely into his heavenly kingdom. To him be the glory forever and ever. Amen.
Paul's focus is always on his ministry before God. How God strengthens him for the task at hand. And then he gives all the glory to God. He is such an example to me.

He closes off this letter with greetings to various peoples.
He restates his desire that Timothy come to him, preferably before winter starts.
And passes along greetings from others.

22The Lord be with your spirit. Grace be with you.

No comments: