Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Result of Living out your life of faith

6For I am already being poured out as a drink offering, and the time of my departure has come. 7 I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. 8Henceforth there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, will award to me on that Day, and not only to me but also to all who have loved his appearing.
These words are interesting to me, they come from 2 Timothy 4. They follow Paul's exhortation to Timothy on what his mandate as a pastor was.

Here Paul has been evangelizing, pastoring churches all over the Jewish and Gentile world of his day. He was responsible for alot of churches. He faced persecution, hunger, beatings, shipwrecks and so forth.

And he tells Timothy "I am already being poured out as a drink offering". His life is/was a sacrifice to God.

He knows what he's given to God. His whole life changed when he knew who God really was.
He knows that he's ready to go. "the time of my departure has come".
He knows how he's lived his life "I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith".
He knows what is waiting for him "the crown of righteousness".
He knows that what awaits him is what awaits every other believer who lives life as he has. "not only to me, but to all who have loved his appearing".

I so often question my faith, what I believe, how I live it out and so forth.
And yet I find myself having this confidence that Paul has. That in the end, God will grant to me a crown of righteousness for living my life of faith.

We need to have this confidence.
YET we need to question how we live out our lives of faith.

Paul gave Timothy his mandate as a pastor, then he said, see what awaits you at the end of it all. Know this to be true. Do your job as a believer. Know that God will reward you for living out your life of faith.

Do you know it truly?

No comments: