Thursday, April 12, 2007

What Does this Mean?

I was reading in Proverbs 30 this morning and came across these verses:
1The words of Agur son of Jakeh. The oracle.

The man declares, I am weary, O God;
I am weary, O God, and worn out.
2Surely I am too stupid to be a man.
I have not the understanding of a man.
3I have not learned wisdom,
nor have I knowledge of the Holy One.
4Who has ascended to heaven and come down?
Who has gathered the wind in his fists?
Who has wrapped up the waters in a garment?
Who has established all the ends of the earth?
What is his name, and what is his son's name?
Surely you know!
I have to admit, I was shocked to read "what is his name and his son's name?" Could this, in the Old Testament refer to Christ? So I did some looking in commentaries, and it appears that there is some discrepancies in what people think it means.

Some think that Son is a bad translation and should be rendered Sons (as in referring to the saints of God). Others think that is does refer to Christ and that this man "Agur" has some pre-knowledge of Christ but wonder then, why is not the rest of the trinity referred to?

Since there is so much discrepancy in what people think this passage means, my tendency is to go along with Clarke who says :
Many are of [the] opinion that Agur refers here to the first and second persons of the everblessed TRINITY. It may be so; but who would venture to rest the proof of that most glorious doctrine upon such a text, to say nothing of the obscure author? The doctrine is true, sublimely true; but many doctrines have suffered in controvery, by improper texts being urged in their favour. Every lover of God and truth should be very choice in his selections, when he comes forward in behalf of the more mysterious doctrines of the Bible. Quote nothing that is not clear: advance nothing that does not tell. (for the rest of the comments, see here.)
I also think his words are wise considering the next verse:
5Every word of God proves true;
he is a shield to those who take refuge in him.
6Do not add to his words,
lest he rebuke you and you be found a liar.
So if a person doesn't know something is true about what is written in the word of God, that person should not to say that it means something that it might not. If you aren't sure, just say so. :) Don't make yourself into a liar, particularly about God's word.

On another note, I have to admit, I sometimes feel like the author of this proverb does...
The man declares, I am weary, O God;
I am weary, O God, and worn out.
2Surely I am too stupid to be a man.
I have not the understanding of a man.
3I have not learned wisdom,
nor have I knowledge of the Holy One.
Do you ever feel like that? I'm imagining this man sitting there thinking, man...I'm a class act idiot. I know nothing! And shaking his head at his own complete stupidity. What can I say... I've been there. When I just kinda wonder...which window did my brain fly out of! And then to see the wonder of God and what he has done.... just amazing. :) Because that is what happened with Agur. He saw his own stupidity, and then he saw the works of God. He knows that God's word is true, and that God knows what he is doing.

Man is so insignificant beside God.

God knows it all.

3 comments:

4given said...

Very thought-provoking. Thank you.

Even So... said...

Yes, He does know it all...

Anonymous said...

,,,and we are made in His image.