Monday, April 02, 2007

Prayer and Learning

One of my desires for the year is to be able to pray better. This is an area of my life that I think I lack in, especially when I hear solid men of God pray, I think....man...I just can't pray like that. My prayers are simple and short and not so full of depth as what I hear.

So when I was reading this morning from Psalms, I thought about that again.

Some good lines/thoughts/prayers that I can add to my prayers... And I know that many people do pray through the scriptures, so don't have to think I'm 'cheating' if I use these lines in my prayers. They are from Psalms 3 and 4.

Psalm 3
1 1O LORD, how many are my foes!
Many are rising against me;
2many are saying of my soul,
there is no salvation for him in God.
Selah
3But you, O LORD, are a shield about me,
my glory, and the lifter of my head.
4I cried aloud to the LORD,
and he answered me from his holy hill.
Selah
5I lay down and slept;
I woke again, for the LORD sustained me.
6I will not be afraid of many thousands of people
who have set themselves against me all around.

7Arise, O LORD!
Save me, O my God!
For you strike all my enemies on the cheek;
you break the teeth of the wicked.
8Salvation belongs to the LORD;
your blessing be on your people!
Selah


Sometimes oh Lord, I feel so beseiged, and yes, sometimes it is of my own making, the sin that so haunts my life, and sometimes Lord it is the expectations of others. And sometimes it is just those around me who really don't know any better.

Help me Lord to remember that YOU ARE my shield, that you are all around me, that you are my glory, you lift up my head. I know that when I cry out to you that YOU Lord will answer me.

For the last two nights Lord I have indeed felt sustained by you. You have helped me lay down and rest. You sustain me in such a way that I don't have fear that which is around me. You give me strength for the day.

Continue Lord to save me. Continue Lord to keep me safe from my enemies...both from within and without. For salvation is indeed from you alone. You do so bless your people.

Psalm 4
1Answer me when I call, O God of my righteousness!
You have given me relief when I was in distress.
Be gracious to me and hear my prayer!

2O men, how long shall my honor be turned into shame?
How long will you love vain words and seek after lies?
Selah

3But know that the LORD has set apart the godly for himself;
the LORD hears when I call to him.

4Be angry, and do not sin;
ponder in your own hearts on your beds, and be silent.
Selah

5Offer right sacrifices,
and put your trust in the LORD.

6There are many who say, "Who will show us some good?
Lift up the light of your face upon us, O LORD!"
7You have put more joy in my heart
than they have when their grain and wine abound.

8In peace I will both lie down and sleep;
for you alone, O LORD, make me dwell in safety.

Oh my Lord and my God, answer me when I call you. You are the God of my righteousness. You give me relief when I am distressed, in your graciousness, you hear my prayers. You have set me apart to live a life of godliness, I know that you hear me when I call to you.

Oh Lord, help me not to sin in my anger. To take the time to think, to ponder Lord upon what has happened. Help me to keep my mouth shut. Help me Lord to continually put my trust in you. To know that through you, I will have joy and peace and that I can lie down and sleep safely. Help me Lord to have your joy in my heart and to not be concerned about the things that others have, to not worry about the questions that others have. Just let me Lord, trust you.

No comments: