Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Do I see Myself as Holy?

I read out of Leviticus 21 this morning and had to wonder upon reading it.

Do I see myself as holy before the Lord?

In the New Testament we know that Jesus is Prophet, Priest, and King. We are his followers. He is of God. We are to be what God has called us to be - his children, holy, perfect and so on.

So in some ways we are to be priests (we can talk with God and intervene on his behalf), we are to prophets (in that we extol/expound the word of God) and princes/princesses (children of God, of 'a king')

So here's Aaron. A levite. A priest.
Moses tells Aaron's sons (the priests) on behalf of God
6They shall be holy to their God and not profane the name of their God. For they offer the LORD's food offerings, the bread of their God; therefore they shall be holy.
There was a whole list of things they could or could not do. Even things that their children were responsible for, lest they profane their parents and therefore profane God.

So like the priests of the Old Testament who were to see themselves as Holy, and therefore lives like holy people, we are priests. God calls us to holiness.

I have to ask therefore, Do I (do you) see myself (yourself) as holy?

If so, what does that mean?
In the spiritual sense, in the physical (day-t0-day) sense...... what does it mean?

I find that's not an easy question for me to answer.

When I look at the old testament examples I can say ... yeah..
I don't worship other gods or do things to appease them.
I don't sleep around.
I don't go around touching dead bodies.
and so forth

But how do I show my holiness?
I am a person who struggles with talking appropriately.
I am a person who gets easily distracted from the important things in life.
I am a person who watches TV shows that depict people living apart from God... how much does the influence me? Does it affect my holiness?

So how can I see myself as holy to God?

No comments: