Sunday, April 15, 2007

Classis of Ontario, Women's Conference, 2007

Parts of this post are also cross-posted on my family blog.

So it's Sunday afternoon, I"m sitting here waiting for Justin to wake up and thought hmmm... should probably update my various blogs, so here I am.

First I have to admit.... I was NOT looking forward to going to this event. I dislike going to events where I wonder if I'll learn anything (I dislike unneeded fluff), where there seems a strong social component (I dislike mingling in large crowds), where I wonder if I'll have enough time to get all my wigglies out before having to sit down again and where I just think...I could be home doing something fun!

Saturday Justin and I left Jim at home and drove three ladies from Church to the RCW ladies conference. It was held at Drayton RCA this year. Mary Clark was the speaker. She heads up women's ministries within the RCA.

Her Topic was "God's hospitality". I found her hard to listen to, not because of her, but due to the fact that she had to keep pausing for the translator. I probably lost the first 10 minutes while I adapted to the listen, wait, listen, wait routine. Most of the women I talked with struggled with the same issue. Though I appreciated the need for a translator, I really wish that there hadn't needed to be one. Her topic was a one that women in our classis needed to hear and probably didn't really hear because of the whole listen and wait routine.

Mary's whole point was the use the gift of hospitality that God has given to each of us, and use it to advance the kingdom of God. Hospitality is the giving of ourselves to others. Once I understood that this was her definition of hospitality it all made sense...but it took me a while to get there.

You see MY definition of hospitality is someone who makes you feel comfortable from the moment you get in their door and who LOVES having people over for dinner or tea or whatever. I DO NOT see myself as having the gift of hospitality at all. NOT saying I don't like having people over but I find it a whole heap of work and I worry about this that and the other thing and AHH. Just fills me with horrors most of the time. What if I can't get the house clean enough or what if I serve the wrong food or what if the cat or the dog or the _____ does something it aught not to. and ... it just goes on and on.

AND THE BIGGEST THING???? What if my guest does something that freaks me out and makes my house feel unsafe to me.???? What if???? STUPID I know. After all...GOD LOVES ME! He won't let anything happen to me that I can't handle without his help. I can trust his promises. I can. See...it's taken me years to realize that! (sometimes slow on the uptake)

Anyways, back to Mary's talk. Hospitality...giving of ourselves to others. Use hospitality as a form of evangelism. This doesn't mean as a church that we need to start new programs. What it means is us, as individual people, stopping to take 30 minutes there, 1.5 hours there just to sit and see the people around us. See what their needs are and just go out and meet those needs. Simple, straight-forward meeting the needs of people. Showing them Jesus through our actions. She kept telling us.. STOP. Think outside box. Think outside the walls of your church. Do it differently.

For instance... we could see a struggling young mom and offer to help her do her shopping. We could do someone's laundry for them. We could offer a cup of tea. Different needs, different ways of helping. We just need to stop and look for those ways of helping/showing/teaching. We are women.... we can see and meet needs around us.

Overall, it was a good message.

In the afternoon we watched a skit "what kind of tater are you". one of the ladies from Drayton put on a skit about different types of taters "agi-tator" "peace-tator" "spec-tator" and so forth. It was not bad at all. it was actually fun to watch these ladies be different taters. :)

There were quilts hung all over the church. Made more than one woman wonder out loud what was with all the quilts. Turns out Drayton church, for the Mennonite Central Committee, makes quilts. These quilts are distributed world wide to people in need of well.. quilts to keep warm. They gave them out in Equador, Africa, and other places. Wherever there has been a disaster (God or Human made) and there are people in need. That was way cool to see. This year Drayton made 63 quilts over the winter. Good to see that in action.

I enjoyed the fact that there was a babysit. Justin had a blast. He even napped! :) He ate a bit, didn't drink as much as I'd like, but he had fun. He had a good sleep last night. He was a happy boy, well, at least until he learned that no, he couldn't bring that lovely airplane home with him. :) it was so good to be able to check on him frequently and just see the fun he was having.

I enjoyed the book table. Even picked up a couple of things. One a book that I think will be helpful with homeschooling in the future, some scrapbooking stuff and something else that I can't recall right now. Spent less than $25. (I had a personal limit of 40 so I did well). Justin made the whole purchasing of things a challenge with .....oh...I can throw my beloved tiger in this water feature... and scream when mommy rescues him... and scream when he's all wet and mommy whisks him away to dry him off. And oh...they have candies!!!!!!! Toddlers...such fun!
So what didn't I like?
1. The agenda pushing... we have a women's conference coming up in Chicago... boy was attendance at this event being pushed. yes, I would like to go. Will I go? No... not at 149$ hotel bill per night and paying daily parking PLUS $350 (about that) for the conference itself. Cannot afford it. WILL NOT ask my church to foot the bill for it. A conference like this should be able to be held elsewhere for a lot less. Also many of the topics seem like "fluff" to me. Denomination wide conferences I do believe should offer more than "fluff".
2. the "tolerance" stuff. We have to tolerate. I agree that we have to tolerate people over things like building structure, clothing, taste in music and such like. Over such things, the overwhelming concern should be .... how do we reach people for Christ and teach them well. I do not agree that we should tolerate bad doctrine. I don't think that evangelism outside the church is more important then having people that will hold to the truth of the gospel. There must be room for both. I think that once bad doctrine is allowed a strong foothold, what is to stop it from becoming more prevalent?
3. I disliked comments I heard directly in conversation and overheard about "those people" and how hard it was to listen to the translator that "those people" needed. I would have thought better of these predominately older immigrant people over new immigrant people. The "those people" was directed at the spanish speaking contingent that came up from Toronto for the day. It really bothered and made me wonder if our churches overall can really open their doors to all the different Canadians that surround them in their communities..... very sad that.

I ended up being glad that I went. I got to know the church ladies a wee bit more. :) Dina lived in Drayton for a while, didn't know that before. Reinie enjoyed her grandchild over Easter weekend, and remembers past events in Drayton, and I like Betty...I do. Strong opinions but a good heart on her. :) I learned stuff, got almost all my wigglies out (Sieka gave me a candy...helped). :) I wasn't stuck in a crowd having to talk in a noisy room. It was fun.

2 comments:

jen said...

Thanks for sharing your experience. We are so like-minded. My dislikes would have pretty much been the same. And I'm the same way about hospitality. I'm way too much of a perfectionist.

Glad it was generally a blessing though!

Annette said...

it was Jen, i was surprised at how much I enjoyed it. Mom told me later it was much more relaxed than it has been other years. Probably why I liked it. :)