Monday, December 18, 2006

A couple of posts

I get the Washington Post sent to my inbox. Most days, it has nothing in it of remote interest to me (because it is totally US based, and I really have no interest in Bush and Iraq and political reactions stateside) so I just delete it. Not of course saying that I"m not concerned about the war, but just from a Canadian stand point. Today it had two articles that I found of interest.

1. Nothing new here and that's the point. This article can be found here. In an age of consumerism and "I WANT IT", this group of people is seen by some to be rather odd. What do you mean...living for a year without purchasing anything new (other than food and real total necessities)? Isn't it bad for the economy? Isn't it bad health-wise (cause you're getting stuff from other sources and how clean is that!)? Isn't it a bit "hippy-ish"? But I have to admit, I can see the allure of it. To just tone down a life-style.. I like it. I really do.

Why do these folks do it?
For these people, recycling wasn't enough. Composting wasn't a challenge anymore. No, they wanted much more of much less........They call their little initiative "the Compact," which they say has something to do with the Mayflower and the Pilgrim pledge to live for the greater good, save the planet, renew their souls, etc.
Now granted, I"m a person who tends not to purchase a lot of clothes - so for me it's not a huge issue. I also have NO problems going to the local thrift shop and picking up clothes there. That's why God created washing machines right? Just wash it up good and no problems. I often get the boy used toy and clothes anyways. I often have no problems making do with what I have.

So what areas would I struggle with? Storage containers... when I want to get something, I want to get it now so that whatever is "stressing" me I can resolve NOW once I have figured out how to fix it up. Paper... like how do you barter, beg or borrow paper? You can't. Paper to me would be a necessity. Scrapbooking stuff... I like to scrapbook. I don't want someone else leftovers. I can see bartering or purchasing leftover albums and stuff that someone's been unable to use, but the accessories, the paper and so forth? and I"m not sure that I'd want to give that up. So I'd have 'my' stuff to deal with. But overall....I, for the most part, would think it should be pretty do-able.

What about you?

2. 7 Va. Episcopal Parishes Vote to Sever Ties. This article can be located here. I have to admit, I have been keeping some tabs on this story. Why? I have found some articles to be somewhat inflammatory about it. Blaming the churches who are leaving for wanting to cause a split in the denomination. But as I read it, I see the same struggles we are having in our denomination, it's just that we haven't yet gotten to the point of hiring someone, or ordaining someone, who is openly homosexual. Churches are leaving because they see this as openly defying the word of God. And yes I know, homosexuality isn't the end all and be all of openly defying God, it's just a really obvious one that people can totally see. Like for instance, a person who is a angry person is also defying the will of God, but how does one quantify it? When is anger just too much anger?

Statements like this is what it all boils down to.
"But the issue is: Are we going to follow Scripture?"
The issue isn't one over church buildings. It isn't one about love and harmony. It is merely about...are we going to follow scripture?

Now granted, it has been sounding like it's going to get ugly over things like money and church buildings.
Bishop Peter James Lee of the Diocese of Virginia said yesterday in a statement that he was "saddened" by the churches' decision but that he would not yield in seeking to retain ownership of the parishes' land and buildings. The two congregations voted not only to sever ties with the U.S. church but also for a resolution saying that they should keep the property.
And I don't like that. I really really don't. It's like, it's a building. The people who go to that church are the ones that have invested in it. Just let them have it. OR on the converse...if your denomination is really going to be nasty about it, just let them have the building. It's not like you can't start over again. Agree to disagree. But what I think, I suppose doesn't really matter. All I really want is for people to see that God is holy and worthy to be glorified. But in these situations, I suppose that rather hard to see.

No comments: