Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Advent Devotions - Dec 20

Today's reading comes from Luke 1:46b-55 by way of Goshen College.
46And Mary said,

"My soul magnifies the Lord,
47and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior,
48for he has looked on the humble estate of his servant.
For behold, from now on all generations will call me blessed;
49for he who is mighty has done great things for me,
and holy is his name.
50And his mercy is for those who fear him
from generation to generation.
51He has shown strength with his arm;
he has scattered the proud in the thoughts of their hearts;
52he has brought down the mighty from their thrones
and exalted those of humble estate;
53he has filled the hungry with good things,
and the rich he has sent empty away.
54He has helped his servant Israel,
in remembrance of his mercy,
55as he spoke to our fathers,
to Abraham and to his offspring forever."
Mary sang a song of praise to God for what he was doing through her.

This song follows a time in her life where she visited Elizabeth who told her that
"Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb! 43And why is this granted to me that the mother of my Lord should come to me? 44For behold, when the sound of your greeting came to my ears, the baby in my womb leaped for joy. 45And blessed is she who believed that there would be a fulfillment of what was spoken to her from the Lord."
Sometimes I can just imagine how scary and amazing and how hard this all must have been for Mary. She's pregnant, engaged to be married, a virgin, who just so happens to be pregnant by God, young, and a believer in the Lord God. God called her blessed. Elizabeth calls her blessed. A child, yet unborn, leaps for joy at her arrival. And she is blessed because she believes.

It's no wonder that Mary had to "ponder all these things in heart" (Luke 2:19) It would be too much to think of all at once I should think.

So just what does Mary say in her song of praise?
1. Her soul glorifies the Lord
2. Her spirit rejoices in Him. He is her Saviour.
3. She rejoices because he saw her in her humble estate, and choose to use her.
4. She knows that people will call her blessed because of what God is doing through her.
5. God is holy.
6. God is merciful to those who fear him, throughout the generations.
7. God shows his strength, he scatters the proud in heart.
8. God brings down the mighty, and exalts the humble.
9. God cares for the hungry, filling them with what they need. While the rich he gives nothing, and sends them away.
10. He helps Israel, and remembers his mercy, just as he did with their forefathers.

Mary has much to thank God for, and so she does.

Makes me wonder...
So I truly thank God for all he does in my life?
Do I see when he fills my hungry soul?
Do I see when he blesses me for humility?

These are the things I need to ask myself as I go through this season of advent.

No comments: