Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Advent Devotions - Dec 12

Ha, today is my Oldest brother's birthday. I just realized I forgot to send him a card. ARGH!!!! Why do I always do these things? I'll send him one today and put an apology with it I think. Or better yet, I'll give him a call.

Sorry, I was away for a moment...discovered my boyo was a BAD boyo. He wrecked his crib mobile AS he was tearing up wallpaper and taking down all his crib blankets off the nice rack that we have on the wall...I'm rather unimpressed......he was supposed to be settling down for a nice nap!

Ah well, he's quietly getting into other trouble in the same room that I am in, so hopefully nothing bad will happen now. :)

Okay, re-focus.... :)

Today's devotional comes from Goshen College again, and the scripture is Zephaniah 3:14-20.
14Sing aloud, O daughter of Zion;
shout, O Israel!
Rejoice and exult with all your heart,
O daughter of Jerusalem!
15The LORD has taken away the judgments against you;
he has cleared away your enemies.
The King of Israel, the LORD, is in your midst;
you shall never again fear evil.
16On that day it shall be said to Jerusalem:
"Fear not, O Zion;
let not your hands grow weak.
17The LORD your God is in your midst,
a mighty one who will save;
he will rejoice over you with gladness;
he will quiet you by his love;
he will exult over you with loud singing.
18I will gather those of you who mourn for the festival,
so that you will no longer suffer reproach.
19Behold, at that time I will deal
with all your oppressors.
And I will save the lame
and gather the outcast,
and I will change their shame into praise
and renown in all the earth.
20At that time I will bring you in,
at the time when I gather you together;
for I will make you renowned and praised
among all the peoples of the earth,
when I restore your fortunes
before your eyes," says the LORD.
Do you see these verses?
Do you see the rejoicing that God wants us to do when he does things for us?

God removes judgements from us. God removes fear. God is among us. God is the mighty one who saves. God restores our fortunes. God makes us known. God gathers us in.

Do you sense a theme here? God does all these things and so much more.

This is who we focus on during Christmas.

Not ourselves.
Not our families.
Not the gifts to purchase.
Not the parties to attend.

GOD. Just God himself.

The same God who rejoices over us when we call him Daddy.
The same God who teaches us not to be afraid.
The same God who exults over us.

God. Let us focus on him this Christmas season.

No comments: