Thursday, November 30, 2006

1 Peter 5

It looks like we are coming to the end of 1 Peter.

Peter is so concerned that his believing audience continue in their faith. He wants, GOD wants, them to have good leaders among them.

Have you ever noticed that leaders can really influence a congregation or followers for good or ill? God knows that this is true, we are indeed like sheep, we follow.

So Peter exhorts the leaders, the elders, among these exiled Christians to
2shepherd the flock of God that is among you, exercising oversight,
Why are they to do this?
not under compulsion, but willingly, as God would have you; not for shameful gain, but eagerly; 3not domineering over those in your charge, but being examples to the flock.
The result?
4And when the chief Shepherd appears, you will receive the unfading crown of glory.
Those of us who follow have a duty as well.
5Likewise, you who are younger, be subject to the elders. Clothe yourselves, all of you, with humility toward one another, for "God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble."
God wants good leaders. He also wants good followers. Good followers and Good leaders are both filled with humility. Part of humility is casting our cares on God. Did you know that "to cast" means "to violently throw"? So when we cast our cares upon God we are violently throwing something away from ourselves that we don't need.

I have to admit...I like that imagery. That I'm all worried and stressed out by something, and instead of continuing in that worry and stress I"m taking it (just as I would a lure) and throwing it as far as possible from me. Just as when I"m fishing I want to get it out as far as possible and hopefully have it land where I want it to as well... when I'm stressed and worried...I want to throw the cause of that far away from me and have it land where I want it to. In this case...into the capable and caring hands of God.

What other habits should I cultivate as a believer?
1. humble myself - when the time is right God will exalt me
2. cast all my cares on God - God cares for me, what a perfect reason!
3. sober-minded - aware that not all is fun and games
4. watchful, alert - the devil seeks us out, he wants to destroy us
5. resisting of the devil - don't give into him, we are not alone in our sufferings
6. be firm in my faith - God will restore, confirm, strengthen and establish you
7. willing to suffer for a while - God will call us to eternal glory and rest.

It's such an important thing to remember -- that we are a group of people that love God. That we are not alone in our faith, even if at times it feels that way. That God holds us close to his heart. That we can give him all the stresses and worries of life.

Peter closes this book with greetings. This is the normal way that folks wrote to others in bible times. He gives a couple of extra teachings - to stand firm in the true faith in God, and to greet each other with a kiss of love. He also sends peace to all who are believers.

You know...this chapter came to me again at just the perfect time in my life. For the last two years I've put together a Christmas program for our church. I'm expected to do it again this year. I feel like I haven't had a solid nights sleep in like forever. Time changed, son sick, me sick, hubbie sick, busy of life, son sick... no solid 8 hours of sleep for me except I think 2 nights in almost 6 weeks. I'm feeling stressed and tired and NOT WANTING TO HAVE ANYTHING to do with Christmas or Christmas preparations. All I want is a quiet week of sleep, rest, play whatever. No external demands. I think it's time for me to just throw this all violently at God (just to give away to him and let him work his magic like he always does). :) I know...it's not magic, but sometimes it feels that way, because when I do get this stressed within myself ... when I do cast it all upon him, somehow, it's like overnight wonders of snowfalls.... life just becomes so much better. Timely message for this stressed mom. Ah come quickly Lord Jesus...come quickly. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Look! Here I am! I made it on! I'm so excited! :)

I enjoy you sharing your devotional thoughts with me! :)

I pray you are ALL feeling better soon!