Monday, September 18, 2006

Ephesians 5:1-2

Ephesians 5 opens with these words
1Therefore be imitators of God, as beloved children. 2And walk in love, as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us, a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.
That therefore means we have to go back a bit to find out WHY we are to be imitators of God. So in Chapter four we find we have new life in Christ. We are not like the other people around us. We have been forgiven in Christ by God. Therefore.... we are to be imitators of God AS beloved children.

I have a 14 month old son. He makes me so aware of what I do sometimes. He tries, even at 14 months, to do what I do. He also tries to do what his dad-dad does. He LOVES to try to figure out how he can do things. He doesn't always succeed, but he does try hard. He gets frustrated and angry and AH!!! He cries meaning... mommy help! So..what does mommy do? She helps.

I see him like this, and then I read verses like "be imitators of God as beloved children". Justin is my beloved child. Just as I am a beloved child of God.

Just as Justin tries so hard to imitate me, I am to try SO HARD to imitate God. Even if sometimes I get frustrated by my inability to do what I want, I am NOT to stop trying.

I was talking with my Sunday School student yesterday. We are talking about Saul (king before David) and how Saul disobeyed God because it was EASIER for him then to do what he was supposed to do. I said that Saul had an option. He could have said.. GOD! Help! But because he didn't, he tried to do it all under his own strength, he failed miserably and God therefore, did not honour him or his effort.

Just as Justin sometimes needs help to imitate me or his dad, and calls for help (and gets it), Sometimes I need help to imitate my father (God). If I say, God... help... he does! He helps me just as if he was my earthly daddy...who I also know loves me very much. And I remember my dad helping me with stuff... to build a dog house, to learn how to work with animals, to learning the importance of reading my bible and so forth.

Sometimes the help that I get from God is just a reminder that He doesn't give me anything I can't deal with (knowing what God's words says is a big help in this). Sometimes it's encouragement from my hubbie, or friends or other spiritual people. Sometimes his help feels more like a whack up my backside! But if I call on him...he helps me. Just like a daddy.

No comments: