Friday, September 08, 2006

Do we mourn?

Do I mourn over the unrepented sins of others?

Do you mourn over the unrepented sins of others?

Paul, in 2 Corinthians 12 wonders if, when he again meets with the Corinthians, if he will need to mourn over the unrepented sins of the people.

Read these words
For I fear that perhaps when I come I may find you not as I wish, and that you may find me not as you wish--that perhaps there may be quarreling, jealousy, anger, hostility, slander, gossip, conceit, and disorder. 21I fear that when I come again my God may humble me before you, and I may have to mourn over many of those who sinned earlier and have not repented of the impurity, sexual immorality, and sensuality that they have practiced.


I have to admit, when people sin, I often think nothing of it.
Now, if it's a sin they've mentioned wanting to change, and then they don't. AND they act wilful in it. I will often, get frustrated with them, wonder what's going on, will sometimes confront them, but mourn? That is something I generally don't do.

I read these words and I feel convicted that what I've been doing is wrong.

That I need to
1. repent of such a generally uncaring for their souls attitude
2. change what I do.

We do need to care about the souls of our fellow believers. if they sin, and don't repent of it, we should mourn...their very lives are at stake! I know it might not seem like it as they keep living and moving and breathing. And for the most part, life seems to continue as is. But think about for a bit, do you really want them to become so stuck in their sin that they no longer care about God? Do you want them to risk not being with God forever?

I don't.

God calls us all to repentance. If we don't, then what are we saying? That our sin is more important than he is? That what I want and what I do is more important to God? If our fellow believers do this, what are they saying?

Yes, we should mourn. We need to mourn if people don't see God for who he is. We need to deeply care about the state of their souls. Eternity is waiting.

4 comments:

Overwhelmed! said...

Annette- Thanks so much for your kind words on my WFMW baptism gift post.

I do take my responsibilites as a Godmother quite serious. I think it has to do with my own Godparents. They have been such an inspiration to me throughout my life. They are such spiritual people, providing a shining example of their faith in their daily lives. They've offered me such love, kindness, and encouragement throughout the years and I hope to follow their example.

As for your post regarding mourning the unrepented sin of others, well it's given me some food for thought.

Like you, I must admit that when people sin, I often think nothing of it. In fact, I'm so wrapped up with getting rid of my own sin that I feel as though I don't have room to worry about anyone elses and I fear coming across as judgmental if I do.

I think perhaps I'm looking at it in the wrong way. I need to think about this some more.

Thank you for sharing.

Annette said...

Overwhelmed, thanks for visiting.

When you see unrepented sin in the lives of others...particularly in the lives of believers, it is good to mourn and it is good to speak up. If people continue to blissfully live in their sin...which as a believer in God you know to be wrong...then you are risking the state of your soul.

You are not judging..you are pointing out what they already know, and just giving them a nudge in the right direction. It is the truest form of love you can give them...to point them back to God. Wouldn't you want them to do the same for you?

Anonymous said...

Hi Annette, thanks for dropping by at mine. Truth be told. I would lOVE to keep contact. The idea of having a niece somewhere out there, and not having a relationship with her, even a long distance one, is very, very hard. My hands are tied though... If A. says no, that's it.....

In regards to your post on mourning over the unrepented sins of others. I am currentlt trying to read the Bible. (with all this stuff with my brother and other things, I took a break but have started up again) so I am not really sure on this yet.
My idea is that everyone is responsible for their own (mis)deeds. You can guide, you can counsil, but at the end, the decision is theirs. I think mourning for the decisions of others would cause a person a lot of heart ache.
Maybe I am missing the point completely though, wouldn't be the first time!

All the best!

Mieneke

Annette said...

Oh, I agree with you Mieneke that people's misdeeds are their own. We can't take their sins upon ourselves.

I think what Paul is referring to here is the mourning for what is tolerated in the church. God calls us to live lives of holiness. People who are believers should repent of their sins. They should not cheerfully go on their way, saying that they are believers WHEN they know they are living as they aught not to live. They are putting their very souls in jeopardy. They are making mockery of the one they call Lord and Saviour. This is what should be mourned.

Reading this helped me to put a new light on what is tolerated in the church that should not be. Sins against God, regardless of where they are committed, should not be tolerated. And to tolerate them in the church, means a time of mourning. The church itself is supposed to be living up to God's standard, not wallowing in the pit.