Friday, September 29, 2006

Boys You are Just TOO messy!

This article in Aftenposten, a newspaper in Norway, tells us about a school that has forbidden it's male students to stand to "pass water".

I look at this and I think a couple of things.
1. yet another way for people to make boys into little girls. You must all sit to go pee. And
2. boys are just TOO messy (well what can I say...some men can be too) :)

I can kinda understand the desire to make unisex bathrooms. It saves money, space and so forth.

BUT I also think the idea is a bit foolish.

Boys are NOT girls. You can't expect them to act the same. And trying to mold them into the same image is not a correct course of action. Would I blow it up like Kleppe does and make it a political thing? Probably not, I'd rather organize the parents of the children to say, "hey, don't do this" OR if I had a son at that school I say...stand to pee, just aim good OR I have someone come in and paint the toilets with a little fly (or something) in the bowl for the boys to aim at.

Boys are boys...do you really want them going to the bathroom in the same room as a bunch of little girls? I don't think so. Boys do stuff because they are boys and they aren't old enough to have learned that "ah maybe I shouldn't do that".

Just over all doesn't seem a good plan to me.

No comments: