Saturday, July 22, 2006

Wondering if it was just concidence times two

So, we got rained out at the Folk Festival and arrived home a bit early.

Therefore I thought I'd make good use of my time, and Justin's energy (not sure where he got it from since he'd only had a 45 minute nap all day).  BUT used it I did!   We pulled weeds.

And yes, I know you're all wondering....how can a one year old help his mom-mom pull weeds?  Wouldn't he just make the job tougher?

Well it was funny, and not exactly what I was expecting.  I was weeding the front bed which I call the kidney garden (due to its' shape), pulling out some extra poppies that had gone to seed.  Well, I left a couple, one was just missed, the other was big and still flowering.

Justin was busy crawling around, pulling the weeds out of the bucket that I put them in, and when I moved on, he thought he should crawl into the garden where I was weeding.  I figured he was just playing with his toys there, it was an open spot so I wasn't worried about plant damage.   Anyways, a minute later he comes crawling over to me with a small poppy in his hand!  Dumps it VERY proudly into the bucket and crawls on back.  I figured, strange concidence but okay.  Helpful little boy.  I told him he was a good boy for helping mom-mom.   

A couple of minutes later I hear a very frustrated cry from that little boy.  I look up to see him TUGGING away at the big poppy!  Boy was he mad!  He wanted to pull that poppy up and it just wasn't coming for him!  :)   Made me shake my head at him.    I chuckled at his determination too.    I had to move him to another part of the garden and let him see another old poppy that he could pull up before he would settle down.  Fortunately, he wasn't all that hard to distract!   For the rest of the time I was in that garden, he moved back and forth pulling weeds out of my bucket, showing me old poppies and just being a busy little boy.   

So I ask... did he know, really know what plants to go after OR was it just coincidence?  And would you expect this from a one year old?

No comments: