Sunday, July 23, 2006

Man one, bear zero

My hubbie pointed me here.

Made me think of how here in Ontario this dog is banned.  This man lives in Waterloo, Ontario, one of the first cities to bann pit bulls and their ilk.   Pit bulls and their progenitors have to be spayed or neutered, wear a muzzle in public, always be on leash and be in a kennel.   They aren't ever allowed be without supervision when out of a person's house.

And this dog did what most all owners would want their dogs to do.   Warn them of danger.  
His American Staffordshire dog growled a warning, then rushed to his
defence as the bear came at them on a trail north of Wawa on Friday.
Current Ontario law says that if these dogs are not sterilized, muzzled and leashed when in public, their owner can face a fine of up to $10,000 or as much as six months in jail, or even both.

This article   tells abit about how the court case against the government and this law are going.  I really hope the law gets overturned as unconstitutional.  I"m not sure what will happen, but I do hope for the sake of a lot of dogs, that is overturned and that the Ontario government is then forced to come up with a well-written dangerous dog legislation that will actually do what they are hoping to have done.  Force people to train their dogs properly, and to have truly dangerous dogs destroyed.

Makes me wonder, what will happen to this man and his dog.  Will he go to jail for having his dog off leash?  In the picture it is shown without a muzzle, will he be charged for this?   If he had been obeying the law, would the outcome have been the same?

This legislation still irritates me and I truly wish that it will be overturned. 

What say you?

1 comment:

Overwhelmed! said...

So this is your 100th post, eh? Nice!

I'm not sure how I feel about this law. It does seem a bit unconstitutional.

Thanks for participating in my "Hooray for 100" link exchange. Please spread the word, I'd appreciate it. I'm trying to get at least 100 posts. :)