Thursday, May 04, 2006

On-going Discussion

As you may (or may not) know, my husband and I are conservative Christians, in a changing denomination, who pastor (he pastors, I attend), a fairly conservative small church in small town Ontario.

We believe very much in keeping the bible first and foremost in life. Jim holds a somewhat harder line than I do. AND for the most part I really appreciate his strong stand on things...because he makes me think about what I believe and why things are important and so forth.

One of our on-going differences is in how we look at praise and worship music. Jim says that MOST people learn their theology best from the songs that we sing and that therefore any songs that we sing MUST at all times teach good biblical values without having any shading in them. I tend to think that the spirit and meaning of the song is just as important and sometimes that things don't always have to be so black and white. We often have slightly heated discussions about what is and what is not a good song.

We were discussing a song the other day "Come, Now is the Time to Worship" Personally I really like this song UNLESS it is played by a band that overdoes it (as in plays the course over and over and such like).

These are the lyrics

Phillips Craig Dean Lyrics - Come Now Is the Time to Worship Lyrics

Come, now is the time to worship.
Come, now is the time to give your heart.
Come, just as you are, to worship.
Come, just as you are, before your God.
Come.

One day every tongue will confess
You are God.
One day every knee will bow.
Still the greatest treasure remains for those
Who gladly choose you now.

Come, now is the time to worship.
Come, now is the time to give your heart.
Oh, come.Just as you are to worship.
Come just as you are before your God.
Come.

One day every tongue will confess
You are God.
One day every knee will bow.
Still the greatest treasure remains for those
who gladly choose you now.

(Repeat)

Come, now is the time to worship.
Come, now is the time to give your heart.
Come, just as you are to worship.
Come, just as you are before your God.
Come.

Oh, come.Oh, come.Oh, come.
Worship the Lord.Oh, come.

Come, come, come...


The line that Jim objects to is "Come, just as you are to worship". He says it should be changed to "come, as through Christ to worship". I have to admit (horrors! I"m admitting to something), that he does have a point... that people CAN NOT come to God just as they are. The God calls people to him through the working of the Holy Spirit, and they can't come except by the saving power of Christ....but I still think the song over all confesses the needfor and the salvation of Christ.

The focus, to me, of the song is reminding people that we MUST worship God. That we must WORSHIP God at all times, and now is good time to start. That people eventually will realize that God is God. Do I query that "we choose God" line? Yes, because I firmly believe that I can't choose God if he didn't predestine (make the choice for me) long before I even thought about making the choice for him.

I guess what it comes down to.... do we through a whole song out because of one line that is questionable? Where does one draw the line in the sand?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just one correction Annette, I think the line would better read, "Come through Christ the Son."

I am not advocating throwing out the song, just modifying a line to make it a better, more robust song that focuses on Jesus Christ. In fact, I don't think changing that line would weaken the underlying meaning or intent of the song, but would strengthen it as a proper call to worship the Father through the Son.

Anonymous said...

was this song written by a reformed christian? If not, the song may not hold our theology and therefore should be thrown out if its thsology is not ours, but then the song calles for the need to recognise God in our life, the need for worship, the need to bow to our God, the need to have him in our heart, to give our heart, so for a new christian, the call to worship is important, so the young find this song appealing and that they are invited to worship and praise their God, the song is an invitation I see by Jesus to come worship our God, the song I thought was a personal invittion by Jesus to join In. Anna

Annette said...

Anna,
thank you for your comments. I am not sure about the song's author. I think part of the sticking point is....is the song is appealing. Therefore it is so important that it teach the right things. I'm seeing my hubbie's point of view...but sometimes I wonder at how strict must it be. :)